Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's been an up-and-down past few days. We had a precious baby boy pass away the other day...one that fought hard. He was in and out of the ICU...and was looking like he had turned the corner. Until he started falling again...and we found out he had an enlarged heart. The ship has extrememly good equipment and resources (for being a ship and all), but we have nothing of the sort to deal with this. (i.e. the doctors wanted a patient to take a stress test the other day....so the patient ran up and down the stairs a few times and then came back to the ward for an assessment). Anyway, the worst part about this sweet baby is that his Mom had to leave the ship empty-handed. She came here for hope..and healing....but God had other plans. We printed off pictures for her...but its not the same. It doesn't even begin to replace the empty weight in her arms as she walked to the taxi...

On the other hand, we had another precious baby boy with the same situation who got to go home yesterday. Both of these babies were cleft lip palate babies. This one has also been in and out of the ICU....but I had the honor of discharging him yesterday. He went home! He left as a fat, smiling baby...and I pray that he continues to grow. Another nurse (who has been here for awhile) was telling me how hard these babies are....because a lot of them die once they return home. They aren't able to keep the nutrition. His Mom was absolutely great. She learned how to take care of him, provide the proper nutrition for him (after this surgery, they can't breastfeed...so we have to teach them other attainble methods of food for the babies), and of course, she showered the sweet boy with lots of love. Right before we walked out the door....she turned around and knelt at the bed. Her hands were raised high...and she praised our Lord. She prayed, sang and thanked our Father for giving her baby another chance. Once again, the joy and passion for the Lord here is just so incredible to me...

Oh! I went the market the other day too! We went to a craft one...which actually ended up leading into the 'big market'. I'm sure many of you have been to a market like this....once where they hassle you, follow you and are incredibly persistent to get you to buy their stuff. It's always such an experience! My favorite though, was they kept saying, "for you...mercy ships discount." haha...yeah, right! :) It was fun though...and I got some sweet deals, so I was excited about that.

Today's love: tracing little hands/feet to color in and playing jenga & memory today at work :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sarah! This one makes me so sad. That's awful! I can't imagine what that would be like. It makes me so so grateful for Parker's health and ability to have the resources like we do. I wish everyone could have them, though! It doesn't seem fair that people have to live like that.
    On a lighter note, I had a big market experience in Jerusalem when I went to Israel. I thought it was so cool! But the constant haggling made me pretty darn uncomfortable! Very cool though- especially all the fun smells and colors. Like always- miss you to pieces! I looked up your location on google maps today- it's good to finally know what part of Africa you're in! Have a great rest of the week! We're still waiting to hear back from that job in Olathe. I'll letcha know when we know anything! Be careful!!!
    Lots 'o' love,
    Landerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH wow, I'm about to cry! I can't even imagine. God's plans are above our understanding at times. Praying for you... :)

    ReplyDelete